Each grade level looks at three larghe themes : make a budget, manage credit and learn how to invest.
The training sessions are offered as extracurricular activities and the students receive a certificate of participation. The academic results obtained in the final exam are converted to tokens which, in turn, allow the students to receive units from the Académie du Trésor investment account. Thus, the students hold real assets in a diversified investment portfolio.
To learn and then to get a redeemable cash value out of it are fundamental to the Académie du Trésor, because they allow you to go from theory to practice.
The token we give to the student has many purposes : it catches the attention of the child as it is tangible motivating; it also helps him understand the notions he learned during the program. Over the levels, the student will acquire precious knowledge that will allow him to understand the principles of financial planning and how to build up an investment portfolio. The student will gradually learn those notions while participating to various practical learning exercices and meeting with professionals from the industry.
age 10 to 12 / 3rd cycle / 15 hours
- Introducing the Académie du Trésor course. The course overview, the presentation of the teacher and a quick look at the learning tools will allow the child to familiarize with the mission of the academy and the value of the convertible tokens.
- Goods and ServicesWith the help of exercices, the student will undertand the difference between goods and services that are offered in a modern economy.
- Needs and DesiresA case study, some exercices and pertinent material will help students to differentiate a basic need from a consuming need.
- Case study – AlexThe student, who will learn with his teammates the notions of spending and earnings, will try to identify available means to purchase a bicycle.
- BudgetWe will discuss the principles of savings, credit and loans to better identify the basics of a balanced budget.
- Financial InstitutionsDiscussions (questions and answers) with a guest speaker from the financial sector.
- Ways of PayingThe student will learn different ways of payment when purchasing goods or services. We also talk about different taxes. A class activity is held to teach students how to write cheques.
- Debt and Debt InterestsThe child will analyze the costs of credit and loans to better understand the risks, advantages and disadvantages of each of them.
- InvestmentsThat course aims to familiarize students with different forms of investments with the help of graphs and invetment pyramids.
- Savings InterestsThe student will learn how interests are earned on savings, with the help of real life cases. We also introduce a bigraphy of Warren Buffett, the world renowned investor.
- Poster with previously learned notionsThe student will gather newspaper clippings from business and financial sections in order to put up a poster of the notions he has learned up to now.
- Investment : Guest speaker from the investment sectorA special guest speaker from the financial sector will discuss subjects already learned in class.
- Alex Buys his BicycleThe student will finish the case study of Alex while comparing savings and purchase means. The student will have to take into account the total costs related to the purchase.
- Read and Understand the Financial Section of the NewspapersIn this course, the student will understand the vocabulary (price, volume, fluctuation), what is a market indicator and how to follow it. The student will complete his learning with specific examples (stocks and index).
- Final exam